02 August, 2011

Professor Tim Noakes takes on the white (refined carbohydrate) elephant in the room...

Internationally renowned Professor Tim Noakes of the Sports Science Institute of the University of Cape Town has recently written an article in the Winter 2011 Discovery Magazine called 'Against the Grain'. In his controversial (for some!) article, Professor Noakes points out how the carbohydrate-skewed 'food pyramid' contributes to so many obese Americans, deficiency diseases and other troubles. I really have to agree with him...


A diet based on lean protein and lots of vegetables, nuts, seeds, pulses and low carbohydrate intake (i.e. grains) leads to happier people with fewer health problems and better body composition, i.e. less fat and more muscle. If you don't believe me, try it for yourself! Here's what happened to Professor Noakes when he made some changes:
"Finally, I submitted myself to an experiment of rigorously avoiding all bread, cereals, rice, pasta, and refined carbohydrates and replacing that nutritional deficit with healthy meats, fish, fruit, vegetables and fats, including nuts. Five months later, I am at my lightest weight in 20 years and I am running faster than I have in 20 years. For the first time since I ran heroic weekly mileages in training have I learned exactly how to maintain an ideal body weight without any sense of privation. And with only as much exercise as I want to do. Even my friends are impressed. They agree that not even the most expensive cosmetic surgery could have produced such a remarkable change"

So ditch the refined carbohydrates and eat like a caveman or woman!

7 comments:

  1. I started this a few months back and have to say the changes are amazing. Everyone equates carbs with energy, but I have found elevated energy levels with my caveman diet, my gym workouts are more intense and body fat is down to 12% (male) without really trying hard. In addition, I feel fuller for longer and don't miss grains in the slightest. Joint inflammation is gone, no more acid reflux and I am very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gav
    I have noticed a big difference in myself too. My body composition has changed, I am able to go to gym far less often and work harder than I have before. I have recently started taking Tim's AGG/PAGG supplementation regime - I'll report back at some point on my experience with this

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Craig,

    I am really keen to give this a go, I have read Gary Taubes book this weekend. I will let you know how I go.

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tracy
    Yes, Gary Taubes, Tim Ferriss, Tim Noakes, Weston Price - all definitely in the right ballpark! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Craig!
    I was wondering if you have any info on how to adapt this diet for a vegetarian?
    Mich

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mich. it's more difficult, but possible. If you eat eggs and cheese it helps! Otherwise lots of beans, lentils, pulses, dhal, sprouts, nuts and seeds. Mushrooms and soy products can be useful too.

    ReplyDelete